Wednesday, September 16, 2015

And so it was this morning that David, my newly-minted 6th grader, was all set to embark upon his class's three-day retreat at Pali Institute.

He was worried that, with all of the excitement, he'd have difficulty falling asleep last night, but this was not the case. He conked out like a trooper, but awoke with a smile on his face and a spring in his step.

Once I returned to the second floor of the house, after having fed the puppy and tried, unsuccessfully, to get him to pee and poo in a respectable area of the back yard, I found David dressed and ready to go. His sister, of course, needed a bit more encouragement to get up.

On cue, David crawled into bed with his little sister, and threw his arm around her. And for one split-second, I relished one of the sweetest moments I've seen in a long time. Elizabeth snuggled up to her brother, safe and protected by his presence, and they stayed there together for a few seconds.

And, just as quickly, the moment was over. Elizabeth got herself dressed (as did I), and we returned to the kitchen for breakfast.

Try as I might to recapture - on camera - the tender moment between these two cherubs, I was not successful. But here's a sample of their well-meaning attempt to look like well-behaved children:




And here is what they did for pretty much every other photo:






No comments:

Post a Comment