Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Maybe I am doing something right

Our weekend schedule was shifted a bit as Glen returned to Southern California on Thursday and headed back up on Saturday. This, of course, was so that he could be back in the San Francisco area to run in the 100th Bay to Breakers run with his brother, John.

Sunday was also the day of Harvey Mudd College's 53rd Commencement, and so the kids had the treat of hanging out with their very favorite babysitter (and teenager), the lovely Bailey. When I returned home at around 3:30 on Sunday, Bailey and the kids were wrapping up yet another showing of "Finding Nemo." All was well, and it appeared that duct tape had not been used. This is always a good sign.

I retired to our home office, where I spent the better part of an hour tinkering on the computer, doing mindless internet browsing and playing on Facebook. David was nose-deep in book #2 of the "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" series. When I pulled myself away from my laptop and re-entered the real world, David was still buried in his book. And I noticed that my bedroom door was closed.

I figured that, yes, the other child of the house must be in my room.

So, I instinctively knocked on the door. Yes, I know. It's sort of silly given that it's my bedroom, but politeness is hard-wired in me.

No response. So, I quietly opened the door.

There, nestled among the seven (or so) decorative pillows on our bed was Elizabeth, contentedly playing with her Leapster hand-held video game. She seemed happy as a clam, and oblivious to the outside world.

I just had to stop and stare at her for a few moments, and take it all in. Why I found it profoundly amazing (and almost breathtaking) to see this little person so independently find a quiet place in which to just be alone with her thoughts (and her video game), I'm not quite sure. But, there she lounged, happy to be just with herself. And that she chose mommy and daddy's bed as a soft, quiet, and safe place in which to burrow touched me to no end.

So, maybe Glen and I are doing something right ... making sure our kids are confident in the knowledge that home is a safe, secure, warm, and cozy place ... in any corner, and on any bed. In a world where so many kids' nightmares are lived in broad daylight, at home, each and every day, I can only count among my many blessings our ability to provide a safe haven to two amazing little people.

No comments:

Post a Comment