Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Santa Baby

Our pre-Christmas holiday vacation, of sorts, has been a four-day trip to the Bay area. Specifically, the kids and I have been introduced to the new little apartment in Newark, CA, that Glen secured about two weeks ago. This little place is an absolute gem! It's a cozy one-bedroom, one-bath, complete with a fire place, full size washer and dryer, and private enclosed patio. The four of us have been happily bunking together in the bedroom, with Glen and me on his new Ikea bed (say what you will about Ikea furniture; the mattress Glen bought is awesome!), and David and Elizabeth tucked into sleeping bags on the air mattress. Well, okay, an air mattress that has a slow leak, but nonetheless...

Following a matinee viewing of Inland Pacific Ballet's rendition of "The Nutcracker" at Bridges Auditorium Saturday afternoon, we slogged through the Pineapple Express storm that hit southern California that morning, and made it to Newark at about 1:00 a.m. on Sunday morning. Driving on the Grapevine in inclement weather is not for wimps, but I got us safely to Kettleman City, at which point I handed over the steering wheel reigns to Glen. Upon arriving at our new home away from home in the wee hours of the morning, the kids shook off their grogginess and bounded up the stairs to see the digs, which we now call Hastings Compound: North. The stairs, of course, are in outdoor corridors of the apartment, and are cement and metal, so they create quite the echo when stamped upon by little feet. This was the first of many, many, many reminders to them that they had to be quiet for the neighbors in close proximity.

A quick tour of the apartment followed, and then it was time for bath and jammies. Of course, the kids were wide awake, and ready to party at 1:30 a.m.




 Somehow, Glen and I convinced them to hit the sack, and the lure of the air mattress/sleeping bag "slumber party" worked wonders. We all slept in until, oh, 7:00 a.m.

Glen stepped out early in the morning for a run to the local Safeway, and the kids began to explore their new surroundings. Soon after, the doorbell rang. At first I thought Glen had left his keys behind, and so I didn't rush to the door immediately. The bell rang again. I stepped out to the patio, asked who it was, and was answered, "your neighbor downstairs in 128."

This could only mean one thing: noise complaint.

I answered the door and smiled broadly. I was greeted by a very friendly young woman, who said sweetly, "it sounds like you guys got an early start this morning..." She needn't say any more. I informed her that, yes, a seven-year-old and three-year-old had infiltrated the perimeters. I apologized profusely, especially after I learned that our new friend was trying to catch some extra sleep to get rid of a terrible cough. David and Elizabeth stepped out, one-by-one, to see what the excitement was about, and I introduced them to our nice neighbor. I also informed them that we'd successfully woken her up, and that my warnings to be quiet were serious. I bid our new neighbor a good day and quick recovery, and we parted ways.

It occurred to Glen and me that this is, in fact, David and Elizabeth's first experience with apartment living. They've always lived in single family homes, where the only noise pollution we have to worry about is that which disturbs the dogs. So a good portion of our time here has been spent saying, "no running!" "No yelling!" "Stop!" "No stomping!" David has been quite a trouper in trying to police and monitor himself, and he's been great at catching himself before doing something loud. Elizabeth, well ... not so much. The neighbor lady now has a nice poinsettia waiting for her on her front door step.

Sunday afternoon, we drove north to San Francisco to attend Craig and Michael's annual holiday party. Craig and I go way back to high school, and met at a summer theater program for high school students at Cal Poly, Pomona. We've been great pals ever since. When he and Michael - a professional event planner - throw a party, I simply don't miss it. Their soirees are fabulous, and this year was no exception. Not only does Michael do all of the cooking, but this year he hired the very talented Shelly Gerrish (www.capturaphoto.com) to take photos of the guests ... jumping on a trampoline. You sort of had to be there, but suffice it to say that she got some incredible air-born shots of Glen and me, and a few good ones of David and Elizabeth in general silliness. I promise to post these when I get the digital images.

On Monday, Glen returned to the office at Facebook, and left David and Elizabeth and me to our own devices. We avoided bad weather as we drive to Mill Valley in the morning for a visit with Naomi, my dear friend from Scripps, and her two boys, Walker and Paxton, at their beautiful home, which I never tire visiting. On the way back south, we hit one of my favorite haunts: Draeger's market in San Mateo. And that evening, we visited the Oakland Zoo "Zoolights" show with Pam, a Pomona College buddy, and her two boys, Ray and Robbie. Suffice it to say that we all fell asleep quickly that night.


Which leads me - finally - to the story that inspired the title of today's blog. This morning, I began what I thought were fair-minded negotiations for pictures with Santa. Back to an earlier musing on the issue of, "who is this more important for, the kids or the mom?" I decided it would be a swell idea to do a photo with Santa at Newpark Mall, the shopping mall of Glen's youth. David was all for it. Elizabeth, well ... not so much.

Not being above bribery, terms of a settlement were established: a small Lego and Barbie for cooperative kids. The photo shoot was on!

In line for the kids' close up with Kris Kringle, we watched a few dressed up cherubs smile for the camera, and also witnessed one meltdown. Elizabeth seemed to be taking it all in great stride.

Then, it was our turn.

David happily bounded up on the good-hearted Santa's lap, and Elizabeth grabbed my leg. I gently prodded her, whispering, "Barbie!" softly in her ear. We finally got her installed on the good-natured man's lap, but she would have none of it. I reminded her again, "Barbie!"

David chimed right in, and began listing his Christmas requests. "I'd like a Lego, and a Nerf sword, and ..."

"Lego?" Santa said. "You said you wanted a Barbie doll!" Both he and David shared a chuckle.

Elizabeth didn't think this was at all funny. But you could tell that this particular Mr. Claus had seen it all, and somehow we got Elizabeth to look in the general direction of the camera. David grinned ear to ear. Elizabeth, well ... not so much:


I am at peace with this photo, and very much okay with capturing the image of these two crazy kids in all their innocence.

Tomorrow, we brave the evening traffic once again and return back to Hastings Compound: South, and prepare for the Big Day on Saturday. It will be lovely to be home with Spike and Lager, to enjoy Christmas Eve services at the Church of the Ascension in Sierra Madre, and to share the holiday with dear friends.

But, I'll be the first to admit that I will undoubtedly miss this sweet little home away from home, and can't wait for the kids and I to return in February. Glen's Facebook opportunity has afforded us with the added bonus of this sweet retreat, and for this I am so grateful.

1 comment:

  1. And a good time was had by all. Have a safe trip to Hastings Compound: South. Love to all!

    ReplyDelete